Sunday, October 31, 2010
Well, I was finally forced to make a decision regarding the baby quilt that I am making. Mostly, the decisions were made by realizing that while I had started in plenty of time to leisurely work on this quilt, I had gotten busy with other things and didn't realize that the shower is NEXT SATURDAY!!!
So, with time short and money shorter, I had to just go with a plan that would allow me to use fabrics that I already had and that I could sew up in very little time.
The photo doesn't really show it well, but the red outer border is the exact same fabric as the red star points. It should finish up to a 40 inch square. I think I might have enough of the blue check from the star points for the binding. But, at this point, it is going to be bound with whatever I have that will work. I am not against a scrappy binding.
As for the backing, I will have to start working on it tomorrow evening. I will be using various shirting materials I have. The mom-to-be had a color scheme in mind for the top (she has no idea what I did with her color choices, though), but the backing may add in other colors out of necessity. I plan to piece together scraps from my shirting fabrics to make a scrappy back. I do have a vintage sheet that is a red, white, and blue plaid that I could use for a single fabric back.
I kind of had it in my head that since this was my first quilt from shirt fabrics that it would be entirely out of shirt fabrics. I am not sure why it matters, but....
After that, I will be seeing what I have in the batting department. I may be piecing some batting together to get a piece big enough to work with. At least I feel like I haven't been wasteful at all with this quilt.
I did plan on making my dad a quilt for Christmas out of the shirt fabrics, and if I am going to do that, I will have to get started pretty darn quick! Otherwise, I won't get it finished in time.