Thursday, March 20, 2008

Am I the only one?

The news cycle has been absolutely "eat up" (yes, I live in the deep south) with the upcoming elections, particularly the quest for a definitive nominee for the Democrats.

Due to the recent flap over Pastor Jeremiah Wright's comments, presidential hopeful, Barack Obama had to address the situation. I found his response interesting.

First of all, let me say that Mr. Obama is a wonderful orator. He crafts his speeches well (indeed he wrote this one himself) and delivers them with absolute eloquence. However, being the word nerd (that means English teacher, by the way), I do realize that eloquence can in no way take the place of substance, especially when discussing a major issue in our nation.

I guess the part that particularly resonates with me is that Mr. Obama said that he sat and heard comments coming from the pulpit of his church that he didn't agree with and that it would be a similar situation with many Americans who have heard their pastors, rabbis, spiritual leaders say questionable things. Hmmm.

Except that I don't recall that ever happening in my 40 years on this Earth. But, I think I understand the reason why. I refuse to go to a church where anything is taught from the pulpit that is not biblical. Now, don't panic, I know that this is a touchy and delicate subject, but if I were to hear anything that didn't sit well with me from the pulpit, I have been instructed from birth to approach the speaker (never a Reverend where I attend, only God is to be revered) and ask them to show me the book, chapter, and verses that the information came from. If they can show me (in context), then I must examine my attitudes and put them in line with Holy Scripture. If they cannot, they must recant the statement before the congregation and correct it. Anything else is unacceptable (and unBiblical). I cannot claim to be a true biblical scholar, but it is my understanding that any other course of action is unacceptable.

But, then again, I haven't selected my church on the basis of how it can help me create a "power base" for a Presidential bid.

I haven't selected my church on the basis of creating "social change." I'll let Christ handle that one.

I haven't selected my church on the basis of my political leanings. I'll just vote in accordance with Holy Scripture.

Yep. I guess I am part of the lunatic fringe. The Church is about the Bible--period. That is my personal bias. I embrace it. However, understanding my personal bias, can someone explain to me why Barack Obama is less concerned about Biblical truth than social matters? Why is it okay to spew hate until you offend someone. If a person claims Christianity as his or her religion, why on Earth would he or she want to hear unChrist-like behavior from their spiritual leader.

I'll stick with the Bible.

No comments: