Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Angry!

I have been loosely following the news concerning the abduction and death of 6 year old Christopher Barrios in Brunswick, Georgia. He was molested, killed, and his body dumped in a black trash bag. It makes me sick.

It makes me angry. The D.A. is asking for the death penalty for the known sex offender who did this and the parents that he lived with. Good. Hope he gets it.

This murderous pig lived across the street from this kid's grandparents and shockingly close to the bus stop where Christopher caught the school bus to go to kindergarten each day.

Georgia passed a law that said that known sex offenders can't live that close to a bus stop--but some judge intervened and the law didn't go into effect. I guess we Georgians just don't want to be nice enough to the scum of the Earth (oops, I meant known sex offenders). We'd rather be nice to beautiful, innocent children, like Christopher Barrios.

Perhaps this case particularly bothers me because I was born in Brunswick, Georgia when my dad was stationed at GlynnCo Naval Base. My parents have friends who still live nearby where poor Christopher was last seen. It's sickening.

Maybe it is because my "Mom-Sense" is tingling because of the love I have for my 3rd and 5th graders who are probably very much like the sweet child who stares from the picture on cnn.com.

Maybe it is because today was Spring Picture Day at our school and the little kindergarten kids all showed up in their Sunday best, starched, and sprayed, and afraid to move until the pictures were taken, lest they mess up their clothes. Maybe it is because I saw those babies (waving silently from their strictly maintained straight line) today and they are the same age as Christopher. Did Christopher's school have pictures today? Will he be remembered?

Okay, why do our souls cry out for justice for kids that become victims? Individuals may truly feel outrage, but the general public finds joy in forgetting these kids. Look at our laws. Look at the lenient sentences that child molesters get. Look at how judges will intervene in our laws designed to save our most vulnerable. There is no punishment that will bring Christopher back, but I'd be willing to create a deterrent by trying.

Forgiveness is divine, but how can we forgive someone who only shows remorse over being caught, not over exploiting an innocent child.

Fry them.

No comments: