Saturday, April 26, 2008

Baby Blanket Bliss

So far, the very best part of being homebound with a recuperating kiddo is that he is actually bored enough to really sit with me and talk about things--everything actually. We've actually been having a few real conversations while I sit and crochet baby blankets. It's been nice. Aspies don't tend to converse, they lecture. My baby is growing up.

He is quite embarrassed by the bandage that he has to wear on the end of his nose to catch the inevitable drainage. He makes me promise that he won't have to go anywhere with it on. I had to assure him over and over that the only place he had to go was to Granny and Grandpa's house for Sunday dinner. He was pleased with that.

While sitting around with legs propped up and conversing, I have been working on the first of two baby blankets for colleagues at work that are expecting. After searching online for the perfect pattern (that I could actually complete) I set off on two that I completely frogged soon after.

I finally settled on a reversible, textured shell pattern in white for the first one. This is for a conservative teacher that I don't know well, but is friendly. She doesn't plan to find out if the baby is a boy or a girl, so I decided that white might be the best way to go.

I haven't figured out what to do for the second one yet. This pattern is working up fast with two strands of really soft yarn held together and a large hook. I could mix it up for the second one by holding one white and one variegated strand together. I need to find out if the other mom to be will find out the gender in advance. This mom is much more outgoing and might appreciate a more colorful approach.

Edging is still up in the air for now. It's possible that it will hold up to just being blocked, otherwise, a nice edging will help to give it some structure.

I just hope that I can make these gifts turn out well. I just love making baby stuff!

No comments: