Sunday, September 2, 2007

clomp, step, clomp, step

Okay, I am getting somewhat used to the sound of trying to be mobile in an aircast boot. On the whole, I think I am doing pretty well. I am still bummed about the walk, but I have accepted that. Basically, I am really missing my early morning walks. It was a reason to get up in the morning. It gave structure and purpose to my day. It was social time, too. I was walking and enjoying the company of a good friend.

My doctor has approved that I can ride an exercise bike and resume my elliptical as long as I build up slowly. But, while it has seemed so easy to get up and meet Misty, I can't seem to make myself do it just for me. Plus, my foot aches and throbs just from my daily grind of being on my feet, so I am not terribly crazy about trying to do more and making my life miserable earlier in the day.

I have found a way to help ease my stress. I have gotten out my knitting and began to start making a few things again. It helps to feel like I am being somewhat productive, at least. Last night, I decided to give crocheting a whirl. I knew how to do a very little bit of crocheting from when I was a little girl and a neighbor showed me. I found a good tutorial on the internet and followed along. I don't know if it was due to the fact that I had played around with a hook and yarn so many years ago, or if it is just easier in that I only had to learn to really manipulate one hook with one hand as opposed to two needles in both hands, but I seemed to pick it up really simply. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means an expert, but I didn't struggle for days in order to feel comfortable making basic stitches. It took DAYS and DAYS with knitting and my tension is still not the best and I have been playing with it off and on for 3 years or so. For what it's worth, I am enjoying it. I love having options.

I have scored some awesome fabrics from the dollar table at Wal-Mart in the last 10 days or so. I don't have much time to sew and I am a very rank beginner, but my Mom has gotten excited that I have lost my 40 lbs or so and she is helping me a bunch! She has made up a beautiful microsuede into a full, gored skirt that is dreamy. It is a dark, chocolate brown and with topstitching, it looks just like suede. It's going to be gorgeous for this fall. She is also making a matching jacket. It's yummy. I did find some gorgeous taupe fabric for a suit and some khaki for a light cardigan with 3/4 sleeves. I will likely wear that lots at school when it gets chilly.

Mom also found some fabrics that I had bought years ago (before my weight had gotten so high) and pulled it out and some of it was in colors that I am trying to work around. Subtle greens, browns, touches of burgundy. So, my wardrobe is growing without my having to spend much money. It's good since I don't have much left since losing weight. Instead of grungy t-shirts and jeans that don't fit, I will have a few skirts, pants, and such that can be put together in a number of ways. I've never been this coordinated in my wardrobe and I think I am going to really like it!

School is going well this year, so far. Other than a few issues with enforcing dress codes, I haven't had any real problems. I am sticking to my high standards and insistence in classroom order to really push the kids. I think it's going to pay off, overall. I think we will see an increase in SAT scores in the next couple of years. Plus, I have seen a decline in both work ethic and critical thinking skills over my career. So, that is what I am stressing. Critical thinking and the desire to work hard to achieve a goal is likely to be a definitive factor in future success for these kids. Oh well, I will get off of my soapbox for now!

Happy Labor day!

No comments: