Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Latest Project...


Here it is. I started a new project for younger son's Christmas. Of course, he was looking over my shoulder while I was trying to find an appropriate colorway and informed me that if he ever received such a wonderful gift that his would just have to be all in greens. As a matter of fact, he pointed out a 3-toned white to green ripple afghan that he really liked.

Nothing like a challenge, huh? I have never crocheted anything that really needed a written pattern before. Plus, this is an unknown entity and I have a hard deadline of Christmas. Wonderful. Ugh. I had to slip off to Wally World with my Mom on Thanksgiving Day to buy yarn in the appropriate greens. Specifically, greens that would go well together, look similar to the picture he fell in love with, and that wouldn't break the bank. Sounds easy, right--NOT!

I settled on a light sage green, a medium sea green, and a creamy winter white. The stripe pattern was born of necessity. The original picture showed a very regular, dark, medium, light pattern which repeated. In this case, I chose not to do that since the light and the medium greens are a little too close in tone, so they needed the white to be between them in order to keep them distinct. Also, the creamy white and the light green are about half the cost of the darker green yarn. Since this entire afghan is being crocheted with two strands of worsted weight yarn, this is going to take a lot of yarn. I am going to make it to be a blanket on his twin bed. So, I decided to alter the stripes up to use the cheaper yarns at a ratio of about 2 to 1 with the darker green. I think this shows up pretty well in the picture.

I took the picture this morning and kept working on it quite a bit. Right now it measures about 58-60 inches wide and about 26 inches long. I have quite a way to go and I am sweating it since I am back to school tomorrow and I won't have nearly as much time to work on it as I have these last few days.

Well, I need to take a shower and go grade papers for school that I have been putting off all week~

No comments: