Sunday, February 1, 2009

A new breakfast idea...

Well, okay, it's new to me, but judging from all of the references to it online, I suspect that everyone knew about it but me!

In an effort to eat a tad healthier (and to avoid paying for chicken biscuits at the school every morning), I have modified a "scrambled egg in muffin tin" recipe that I found and turned it into a healthy mini-quiche to be reheated in the morning.

I chopped up veggies (your preference, but I had onion, garlic, and broccoli) and filled my greased (with olive oil) muffin tins half way with the veggie mixture. I poured generic brand egg substitute over the top of each compartment until it came just under the top. I am sure that regular eggs would work well here, too. I used most of a container that said it was the equivalent of 15 eggs, so I am guessing that roughly 1 egg per tin would be about right. Then I sprinkled each with kosher salt and pepper.

I put them in a pre-heated 350 degree oven. I checked them in 15 minutes, but like my eggs firm, so I put them in for 5 minutes more. I sprinkled about 1 tablespoon (maybe less) of sharp cheddar to melt on the top. After they cool, I will remove them from the pan and bag and freeze.

I can't wait to try one (or two) in the morning with a cup of coffee! Love it when I can do things in advance that will make my mornings easier. I'll let you know how they taste and if they keep me from starving by 10 am!

No comments: