Thursday, May 7, 2009

I just don't understand

why it is nearly impossible to find reasonable clothing for adults?

Last night, I decided that I needed to find a dress to wear to an outdoor Spring wedding that is this weekend.  I just needed a nice, spring-timey short sleeved dress, preferably in a knit.

You would have thought that I wanted to purchase a custom made torture device for all of the luck I have had in the stores.  And it isn't like I haven't really looked around.  I went to Kohl's, to JCPenney, to Dress Barn, to Lane Bryant, to Liz Claiborne.  Apparently, when one has an, ahem, middle aged, motherly figure, one should never be invited out in public.  There was not a single dress in plus sizes at two of these stores.  Several were grossly inappropriate to wear anywhere!  I am sorry, but if you make a dress that is suitable only to a young, pre-pubescent girl to wear, then making it bigger surely doesn't make it flattering to a big chick!

And don't even get me started on modesty.

It is as if there is a black hole between slut wear and nursing home ensembles in my size.  For goodness sake, I am a Mommy and I don't want to look like a street walker!  Sheesh.  Besides, who wants a matronly street walker?  Yuck!

I did find one dress that fit well, but it was, well, poop brown and very unflattering.  One store had two skirts, but they were over $40 apiece, in an outlet store!  By the time I added a blouse, and possibly a camisole, the outfit would have been well over $100.

But, I could find numerous work out outfits and capri sets with cheesy pseudo-resort embroidery around the hems.  Really bizarre stuff.  Shapeless and ugly.  Not even in pretty colors.

Clearly, with my figure, I can't pull off the twiggy, looks like a young boy, look any longer.  But, what would be wrong with having a few flattering, feminine styles around, just for giggles?

I guess I am back to mail order for most of my clothes.  I hate it when I can't find anything reasonable that I can try on.  Oh well.

No comments: