Friday, January 18, 2008

P.A.N.D.A.S. are not just fuzzy bears...

Okay, to be technical, pandas aren't bears at all, but are more closely related to racoons (hence the markings). But the P.A.N.D.A.S. that I am referring to is a pediatric neurological disorder that DS11 has been diagnosed with. It happens when the immune system makes way too many antibodies after being exposed to strep. Then the antibodies attack the part of the child's brain that regulates emotion. It brings out strong OCD symptoms. We're having a flare up. It has been a very wild week for us and I haven't had a chance to write anything up for the blog.

Unfortunately, because this flare up brought about different symptoms this time, I didn't see it for what it was at first. This time it was all about guilt and worry. Plus, he couldn't sleep because he was afraid that he would die in his sleep. Last year (the first time we saw it from PANDAS) it was very different. He saw disturbing images in his mind.

So our wonderful "shrink" has changed his medicine and we will know by Tuesday or Wednesday if it is helping. We also have Xanax to help with emergency melt downs. If this new cocktail of medication doesn't work, we may have to rely really heavily on the Xanax and risk making him a zombie for the 3-4 months that his antibodies will remain elevated.

Also, his sinus infection hasn't cleared up. The doctor is giving us another antibiotic to try and I will have to call the pediatrician to see about getting DS11's sinus cavity x-rayed.

We did have a wonderful, small snowfall this week with big, lovely flakes. I went out and took pics of hubby and kiddos. I will post them when I can. Since it was gone by morning (no snow day--boo hoo), I am glad that I got them when I did. It was a wonderful diversion from the OCD symptoms for DS11, a rare moment of total focus and clarity for him. Those moments are the memories that I will hold forever.

What can I say, when it comes to my kids, it's a love thing. A maddening, stressful, insane love thing.

No comments: