Sunday, October 18, 2009

A little hand work...

Well, I must admit that I have looked at quilting a little bit differently since I went to the quilt show. Ideas are just coming into my head--good ideas (well, good if I can pull them off).

I have started a hand quilting project. My quilting hoop is so large (30 inches, maybe) that my pudgy, little Barney-esque arms can't comfortably reach across it. So, my mom loaned me her oval hoop on a stand. It's a little odd feeling to work at that height and not in my lap, but I am slowly getting used to it. I don't know that I will ever have the consistent stitch that I would love to have, but at least I will have given it a good shot.

But, I don't see machine quilting going bye-bye at all. There are too many projects that I want to make and I can't complete nearly as many of them if I am limited to only one style. I will probably hand quilt smaller and sentimental projects (the potentially heirloom-y stuff) and machine quilt the rest.

I have also been pondering doing a pictoral quilt. On Facebook (yes, I finally succumbed, but I have some friends and family members that I can't keep up with any other way) there is a group about Jekyll Island, Georgia, one of my very favorite places--full of happy memories. They held a sunrise/sunset photo contest and some of the images are compelling. If I keep the lines clean, I can see some gorgeous batik work and fusible applique capturing a summer sky. If I can pull it off, that is. But, I am actually thinking that I could be game to try. That's a first.

Maybe a little inspiration can help me to expand my skills a bit.

No comments: