Sunday, November 22, 2009

Crud Puppies!

It's inevitable, in my world, at least, that Murphy and his Law will wander across my day occasionally. Today, he waited until evening to make his appearance.

I am working on my Arrowheads quilt and quilting away. I quilt a few blocks and then baste a few more. Then I noticed my batting package, sitting empty. I go to throw it away and realize that this particular batting is different than any that I have used in the past. It is a thin cotton, like I prefer, but it is made to be quilted much closer than I have planned on this quilt. Oops!

I know it's a solvable dilemma with the batting, but I am not yet certain of the solution. I suppose it is what I get for using an older batting that I purchased years ago instead of purchasing exactly what I needed for this project. In my own defense, I didn't realize that it wasn't exactly what I needed. Sigh.

So, I am trudging along, trying to decide what I can do to increase the amount of quilting in each block without ruining the very simple, graphic lines that I like. Then, as I return to basting, I realize that I have 3 blocks remaining and no more glue sticks. Aaaagh! Here I am, on a roll, needing some meditative time at the sewing machine and can't baste further. This quilting arrangement is weighing on my mind and I can't find the best solution and now I can't complete the first stage of the quilting (which is all I had originally planned to do) so that I can decide what to do next. It's frustrating!

So, I can leave it alone and have the quilting lines way too far apart for the batting. I am leaning against this option because I want this quilt to be reasonably durable. Extra quilting will also reinforce large expanses of fabric.

I can meander in black and hope it doesn't detract from the decorative stitching lines.

I can do simple lines to echo the graphic lines in black or even in a tan to match the backing and some of the top fabrics.

I could meander in tan and try not to cross the black decorative lines. I have plenty of black and tan threads, but no clear nylon (and I have never used it before, so I don't know much about it's quirks).

I am sure there are myriad other options, but I can't think of any right now. Any thoughts? Bev? Are you out there???

No comments: