Saturday, November 21, 2009

First Block is Quilted!!!

Okay, it's not the best picture of an untrimmed, already quilted block hanging on a door, but it will have to do! This is my first completed block for my "Arrowhead" quilt. I am so pleased with it. It is really hard to see, but the quilting is done with 50wt black cotton in a featherstitch pattern. It is one of the stitches that looks the most like handwork on my machine.

Of course, it's so easy to jump right in when all you need to baste is a glue stick! Love that part!!!

1 comment:

Rose Marie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. You left a comment about using Crayola washable markers and I just want to give you some heads up.

The only thing is, if they have gone anywhere near a permanent marker, your lines will be permanent too on your fabric. That is the problem that I had with one quilt and couldn't figure out why my lines would not wash out. I had used the ruler to draw some lines with a permanent marker and then months later, used that same ruler to draw lines on my quilt with my washable markers and the permanent ink transferred to the nib of the Crayola marker pen. Now, whenever I do any kind of marking with the permanent pens, I wipe the ruler afterwards with rubbing alcohol.

Now, when I wash out the lines, just soak the blocks for a while in cool soapy water and rinse well. Or, I wash my quilt when it is finished and the lines wash out as well.

Happy sewing,
Rose Marie