Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Basting Update

Well, here I am, back from Mom and Dad's house for basting. Why am I back so soon, you ask???


Well, it's all Susan Schamber's fault! Look here and see what I mean....

I saw this video about a month ago. I mulled it over. I decided that even though I didn't have the rails to secure the backing and top to, I wanted to use the 'herringbone' basting stitch that she describes. It looks easier to me than the traditional way of basting.

The last time I remember hand basting a quilt top was my friend, Bev's, scrappy stars quilt. That was ages ago. Since then, I have played around with glue basting and safety pins to avoid that kind of basting.

Anyway, Mom and I decided to try it out and we completely basted a double bed sized quilt in 1 hour and 40 minutes! Last time we did it, it took a huge chunk out of a Saturday. This was quick, simple, and easy. More importantly, I can do it! I can do it easily! I dig being finished in a reasonable amount of time.

I will post photos of the basting when I get my frame put together and what not. This is way exciting for me! I love bringing some efficiency to the project!

No comments: