Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Dilemma

Okay, I was so excited to give my friend at work a quilt for her first grandson who will be born any time. I had washed and dried it and checked it thoroughly before I gave it to them.

Today, my friend brings it back to me and it has large holes in the seams. Could I have missed them when I checked it? Are my seams falling apart?

I did this as a quilt as you go with long seams that run horizontally across it that are both the piecing seams and the quilting. I had a couple of small places that came apart earlier, but was able to close them up by hand and cover them with appliques.

I used a larger than 1/4 inch seam allowance and was extremely careful when I sewed it together. I can't imagine why it is falling apart. The fabric is good quality that I got in a bundle at the Scarlet Thread Quilt Shop, so that shouldn't be it.

The only thing that I can imagine that could have caused this is that my sewing machine might not have been sewing a truly strong seam in the few hours before the timing went out. The seams looked okay, but maybe they are letting go now.

I will try to fix it, but I might just feel better if I just make her a new one on the other machine (the one I fixed).

4 comments:

evision said...

I have gone through this blog.I found it very intresting and helpful.Now a days I am doing my work from my home only.
And this blog is really doing great for me.And got extra income from my home.
part time job

SandyQuilts said...

Maybe you could applique a shape over the spot.

Michelle said...

I hope everything works out, keep us posted.

元維青慈 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。..................................................