Wednesday, October 17, 2007

School, and Flu Shots, and Tears--Oh Joy!

Well, it has been an interesting week for us. We have had an abbreviated week at school (even more than our usual 4 day week) because of a teacher work day on Monday. It was nice to have a day to catch up on all of my paperwork, etc.

Today, we left right after school and went to the pediatrician's office for the walk in (cattle call) flu shot clinic times. Needless to say, I didn't tell the boys until I absolutely had to. They still didn't handle it well. Additionally, it was packed and noisy in the office which throws my oldest (Aspie) into absolute fits.

My oldest was an absolute trooper. He hasn't had to get flu shots before because of the lack of availability of the preservative (ethyl mercury) free version of the vaccine. This year, we were able to get our injections from single-dose vials that don't require any additional preservatives (Hallelujah!). My youngest has athsma and we really don't want to risk a bout of flu. The oldest doesn't process and expel mercury from his system like a normal child, so we have avoided any unnecessary immunizations that might contain mercury. I refuse to expose him to any mercury that is avoidable at all. I really don't see the logic in exposing any child to ANY amount of mercury at all-but particularly not a child with a known history of problems with mercury lingering in his tissues.

My youngest has gone for all out drama with his shot. He cried, he wailed like a paid mourner, he couldn't give himself a bath for the pain. Yes, shots hurt, but I believe that things like kidney stones and childbirth would have to rate higher on the pain scale. With this kid, a paper cut could be permanently debilitating to hear him!

But, tomorrow promises to be a better day. The boys are both going on a field trip to the Super Scientific Circus and are excited. My parents are driving them, so I don't have to worry about the older one getting overwhelmed and no one knowing how to handle him or the younger one needing a breathing treatment and no one knowing how to administer it.

Plus, it's always easier if I don't have to get a sub for my classroom. I am so grateful for the support that my parents give me and the boys. I am blessed.

No comments: