Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Last Minute Christmas Blues....

I can't remember the last time that I was scrambling around this close to Christmas. Even at my most disorganized, it hasn't been this bad. But, 2009 has been a hard year.

Between my brother's wreck and hospital stay and our dismal finances this year, we just didn't have the money to go out and purchase earlier in the season as we usually do. So, yesterday, I took Mom (who is in the exact same boat but providing around the clock care, along with my Dad, for my brother) to Wal-Mart and Target.

I am more determined than ever to live for Christ as I am certain that hell will be a lot like those two places on December 22nd. Today, I went with a friend to Belk (not too bad) and to Ingles for food for Christmas Eve and Day. Of course, I could have done that days ago if not for my family not being able to decide what we would do, where, when, and who would bring what.

Actually, considering the stress that everyone is under, I am probably richly blessed to have this information before 5 pm on Christmas Eve. Sigh.

Plus, we now have some family coming that we didn't know could make it and I need to have a little something to give them. So, I have a batch of apple butter in the crock pot that I will have to can up in the morning. Just in the nick of time, huh? At least it's something folks can use and is fairly easy on me.

On a positive note, we are having two old cars that don't run hauled off for scrap and parts tomorrow morning, so that will yield a little money. Maybe enough for hand rails on the permanent ramp on Mom and Dad's house. That would make me feel a little bit better (and our yard will look nicer, too).

Now, I have to figure out what to do for DS13. He really needs a new (larger) bed as he is bigger than his twin bed now! No, I am not kidding. The kid is huge and about 6 foot tall. So, we need to get him a double bed and we have to find one that will be very durable, not pricey, and a very firm mattress. Maybe I will check out the thrift stores for something that will take a coat of paint. Hate to have a young kid tear up something good. Oh yeah, he will need some kind of chest of drawers also as he is giving up a captain's bed, which my Mom refinished for him. It was really nice not having to put a chest of drawers to take up space in his room. Plus, we will need sheets and a blanket and comforter at least. I certainly don't have time to make a couple of large quilts quickly! It's going to be clearance sale all the way on this baby!

Of course he will get a quilt when I get the time. But, right now, I am a little overwhelmed! I want to sew, but I have to clean up my work area in case someone drops in.

No comments: