Tuesday, December 1, 2009

In Progress...

Here is a close up of the tree skirt and mantle scarf fabrics that I have been using.  It's a very shabby chic look, don't you think?
Here is the tree skirt so far.  It is square and not completely bound yet, but I am working on it!  I did it as a quilt as you go, single courthouse steps style log cabin.  I chose that so that when I made the diagonal slash to put it around the tree, that both the dark, predominantly red side and the pale, predominantly green side would both show in the front.  The 3 outer edges are self-bound and I will use scraps to make a french binding to go up the middle.  I am thinking that bias binding is the only way to go for around the circle part, but I don't think I have a single, big enough piece to make my own bias binding.  So, I may have to purchase a package of red to use just around the circle.
Here is a close up of the mantle scarf.  It is made up of regular log cabin blocks and quilted in a grid.  The backing is left over tea stained muslin.
Here is the whole thing.  Once it is bound it will be lovely on my mantle.  I think I will just have the scarf and 3 of my red battery-operated pillar candles on it.  

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

3 comments:

grandmarockton said...

I like it! the colors are nice and look X-mas without shouts.

Karen said...

Both are lovely!

Jan Hatchett said...

Thank you both for your kind words!