Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Medical Profession

Can someone please explain the medical profession to me? Why are some members the most wise, astute, and amazing people on the planet, while others are baffoons at best?

Case in point. I got a call from Eggleston Children's Hospital yesterday late afternoon informing me of some "important" testing that DS13 needs to be prepped and ready for TOMORROW morning! No doctor's office had notified me. I had no idea that tests were ordered. I haven't asked for time off of work. I don't know if this is something that can be rescheduled, etc. My head is reeling with questions.

So, this morning, I start my class, step outside and call. The tests are for a brain scan (made it sound like cardiac testing on the phone) and genetic testing. I asked what these tests were for. The nurse really couldn't tell me about the genetic testing. I asked why they were ordered (were they related to the biofeedback that we did a week ago). The nurse didn't know. I asked who ordered them and she told me. I have never heard of that doctor in my life. He is a neurologist at Emory University, which is nice. But, DS13s neurologist is at the Children's Hospital in Macon.

Long story short, after 2 hours of frustration and phone calls. The kid who is supposed to be tested hasn't been notified and his first name is the same as my kid's. However his last name is different. His birthdate is different. His social security number is different. His shoe size is different.

Go figure.

No comments: