Friday, February 5, 2010

Playing 'Possum

Strange things can happen when you live in the country.

Tonight, DS13 went to spend the night with the grandparents and around 8:30pm, I took his nightly medication to him. While I was there, I was talking and catching up with my parents and the time flew by. My Dad and I were specifically discussing the book Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. Good conversation. Good book.

I left for home just before 11 pm. It's only around 6 miles door to door, so I was home in no time.

But, imagine my surprise when I was walking from my car to the front door of my house, keys in hand, when an opossum runs out in front of me, turns and hisses (and drools). He goes halfway up the stairs and turns and hisses (and drools) at me again. Then he waddles over to the handrail and jumps into the rosemary bush.

Thinking that the way was clear, I slowly step toward the stairs. Out pops Mr. Possum, hissing and drooling some more. Finally, I had to use my cell phone to call hubby to open the door and make sure I could get into my own home without being mauled by some ill-tempered, rabies carrying beast!

Whew! That's some seriously cheap entertainment!

No comments: