Thursday, April 5, 2007

Oprah's Autism Show

I don't know if very many people saw it, but Oprah did a show on Autism today. From my perspective, it was purely depressing. The information was certainly accurate and in line with what I have learned as the parent of a child with Asperger Syndrome. But, the show, in an effort to encourage compassion toward families who struggle with Autism daily, seemed to focus on the frustrations and obstacles that these families face. Trust me, I already know many of them, albeit in a less severe form.

I guess it was just a not-so-subtle reminder that the challenges that my family faces are not likely to go away. Ever. This attitude is likely born of selfishness on my part, because I have learned to wear blinders in my daily life so that I don't see the discrimination that can often take place. When someone says or does something cruel to your child, it hurts the parents in a very real way. When that child struggles with a disability and is truly doing the very best that they can, this cruelty is unbearable. When one mother on the show suggested that strangers should offer help to families who are experiencing a meltdown in public, I nearly screamed at the t.v. set! That is not the time! Leave them alone and let them handle life, which is difficult enough to handle without feeling like the entire world is watching and judging them. Okay, when I read that last part, I realize that I am dealing with a little bitterness on the subject :-) I guess one too many well-intentioned folks at Wal-Mart have offerred me "timely" advice on my child rearing abilities. I have long since learned to appear rather unapproachable on the subject.

I truly admire that Oprah is educating the public about this health crisis. The more people know, the better. It's just hard for me to be part of that audience.

No comments: