Monday, November 17, 2008

A few fiber crafts...

I recently found the cord that allows me to download photos to the computer, so I thought I would catch everyone up on some crochet projects that I have been working on.This is my first attempt at a round ripple afghan. I made it for a co-worker's first baby, a little girl. It is baby pink in the middle with a round of multicolor baby print, and edged in white. I was able to make this one completely with left over yarns from other projects.

It seems like we have had loads of babies lately! Over the last 6 months or so, I have made blankets for 2 baby boys and 2 baby girls. The fifth one went to a friend to give to a friend of hers who didn't know the gender of the baby. It's almost more fun to pray over the quilt and give it away, not knowing what baby is cuddled in it! This pattern is called "Bubbles" and it was a freebie from the internet. It doesn't take a whole lot of yarn and since you hold two yarns together it works up really fast! Plus, you can mix up different yarns to get different looks. I especially like a solid (like white) with a baby print. It looks almost sparkly that way.
This is for the first child (due in February) of our school secretary, who is a wonderful lady. It is linen white, espresso brown, turquoise, and spring green to match their nursery. It's a very sophisticated color scheme. Of course, with two boys, I am starved to work with pink, but I think this turned out nicely. I got the yarn when Michael's was having a 50% off sale on yarn. Plus, I wanted soft, but didn't go for the most expensive stuff.

This is my kitty getting ready to nap in front of the bright, technicolored giant granny blanket that I made for my niece Gracie. She will receive it on Christmas Eve. All the yarn for this one was from Dollar Tree--great deal for fancy yarn.
This is the ripple afghan that I have started for my eldest niece, Janice. It is her favorite colors, turquoise, medium brown, and a dark coffee brown. It's turning out nicely, but it needs to keep on growing!!! This is probably the last thing I will try to get finished by Christmas and any other projects will be gravy. I did purchase yarn for this, but it is the new Eco-Soft by Caron. It's very soft, works up like a dream, is inexpensive at my local Wally World, and recycles soft drink bottles--now how cool is that?
So much yarn (seriously, crammed all over my house), so many patterns, so much inspiration, and so little time. Sigh.
But, stash yarn isn't cutting out of my budget right now! Can you say "frugal?"

No comments: