Monday, March 29, 2010

And for something really different...

I love looking at the quilts that others have made and so enjoy the different quilting blogs, etc. It's interesting how different quilters interpret different patterns and ideas and bring their own personalities into the mix.

These quilts were made by my Aunt. She has sewn longer than I have been alive, but has only recently begun exploring the world of quilt-making. My mom and I took her to the two closest quilt shops and I shared some of my favorite quilt and free pattern sites.

She has really taken the information and run with it. These quilts are magnificent!

The patterns came from moda bakeshop, of course! It's the split 9-patch pattern. The first quilt was made for a dear friend of hers that is undergoing cancer treatments. What a wonderful reminder of friendship and hope. It's made of Mary Englebreit fabrics, which are so bright and cheery. I am sure that it will be a cherished gift.

The following quilt is from the same pattern, with a very different set of fabrics.
This quilt is made of 1930s reproduction fabrics. It also is very cheerful, but in a softer way. I just love it! She is completing these quilts completely on her domestic sewing machine, one block at a time and joining them all together after quilting is complete with sashing strips. Doesn't it look terrific?


Right now, I am generally using kits for my Silver Thimble Club quilts, so I am not actually picking fabrics. I do hope that I can develop my skills at combining fabrics for really dynamic quilts like these.


Hope you enjoyed viewing them!