Friday, May 30, 2008

Another frugal gift success!

At our recent graduation, two of our very talented young ladies sang a beautiful rendition of Stephen Curtis Chapman's song, "Fingerprints of God." They did such a lovely job and I am so impressed with them. They are both rising sophomores. It took a lot of nerve to get up and sing in front of a full auditorium of people and I wanted to do a little something to let them know how much their involvement added to our celebration.

So, I began looking around the internet for an idea. I came across some cute ideas: little paper bag scrapbooks, altered items, etc. I loved the idea for the little books, but even though I am married to the official school photographer, I have lots of pictures of one of the girls, but not many of the other, so I couldn't really figure out a way to make it equally special for the girls. However, I never shelve a good idea and may make an album for my friend, Karen. We see her once a year and take loads of pictures of each other's kids. Maybe an album of her kids as a keepsake. Hmmm. I need to raid hubby's computer to check for pics.

I settled on making an altered CD cover and turning it into a permanent, decorative greeting card. I wanted the front to be pretty enough to display and the words to be inside as a reminder to them of how wonderful they are.

I created it on my computer, so I didn't have to purchase stickers, paper, doo-dads, etc. I used a free paper that I downloaded some time ago. It is a nice pink paper with a larger, fuschia daisy with a yellow center. Since the file was for 12 x 12 inch paper, I centered the flower on the smaller document and was thrilled to find that it filled the space completely and ran off of the edges. It made for a beautiful decorative cover (and appropriately girly). For the 3 additional pages (inside cover, inside back cover, and back cover), I lowered the opacity to around 57% which makes the picture look like it is covered with vellum and made to look pale and soft. On top of that, I added words in a calligraphy font in a nice, warm brown.

The left side when it is open says, "In appreciation. __________&__________ performance of "Fingerprints of God" by Stephen Curtis Chapman at FCA Graduation. May 22, 2008. I deleted the names on purpose, I didn't ask the girls to fill in the blank!

The right side says, "God put a song in your heart and you were a blessing to me." Underneath is Psalm 9:2 written out.

The back cover is plain except for two lines at the bottom: "Crafted with love for _________."
My name is underneath.

Still having camera issues (likely user error, but....). I will post photos when I get a chance.

I am tickled with these. They look so cool, but were really so very simple and inexpensive.
I think I will make more when I need to give a gift card. It will look so much more substantial and cool.

No comments: