Thursday, May 29, 2008

End of the Year Teacher Gifts

This year has been wild and crazy for us. Most years, I take a little bit of time to come up with an inexpensive gift for my kiddo's teachers. This year, I was so caught up in the details of life, that I didn't get around to doing anything.

I couldn't leave it at that. My kids have had wonderful experiences this school year and their teachers have been voted teacher of the year for the elementary and middle grades, respectively. They have really been a blessing in our lives and I am proud to call them colleagues.

Yet, I needed to do something significant and nice, without being pricey (or require too much running around in the car). So, this is what I came up with....

A student (who I adore) has asked me to help her to make a scrapbook of her family to give to her step-mom as a gift. It's a beautiful expression of love and we have had such fun looking at pictures and papers. We've laughed a lot and enjoyed each other's company. Of course, I seldom get to do crafty things with girls, so I have really eaten up this activity.

Anyway, my student inspired me and I picked up some chipboard cut outs of flowers, glitter glue, and notecards. I used brightly colored scrapbook paper that I had left over from another project and some scrapbook adhesive. I layered the chipboard flowers, glued them together, had hubby drill through the centers to put decorative brads through them.

I layered the ingredients and voila (!) one of a kind cards. Each one will read, "Thanks so much for helping my child to blossom this year." Then, I will add a personal comment. I am excited that they turned out so well, and look so substantial and decorative.

I will post pics when my camera is recharged. All in all, I had fun and created 6 gifts for less than $1 apiece. Of course, I will have to pay postage, but it still will cost less than I have spent in the past. The best part, I think, is that it is a personal gift. They are not all alike. It took time and creativity, and very little money. It's so much nicer than the typical impersonal, everyone bring $5 for the generic end of the year gift.

No comments: