Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas humor

After a long evening at the ER, we went home and slept in, etc. and began the task of teaching DS12 how to function with only one usable leg. No easy task for an Aspie, I can assure you. He lacks the instinctual understanding of how to compensate for an injury, etc. He must learn everything by rote. Plus, once he knows it by rote, that's it. You can't change the rules. If he ever injures the other leg, he will have to start over from square one. The only good thing is that he will remember that it is do-able and it may help him to have a more positive outlook as we figure things out.

But, I digress. It is the day of Christmas Eve and I get a call from the carpet installer, telling me that he is INSIDE the house and fixing the carpet. I didn't drop off a key with the shop, so this was a little bizarre. Apparently, he entered by using a credit card on the back lock. He did later tell me that we had a really good deadbolt on the front. Now, doesn't that make you feel all warm and squishy about life?

So, I ask my Dad to come and sit with the injured child while I run over to pay this guy. I get there and pull up in the driveway behind an old van with a bumper sticker that said, "Horn Broke; Watch for Finger." Somehow, it fit the entire situation. I needed the chuckle that it evoked. Thought I would share some of the workings of my twisted life.

No comments: