Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Insomnia ain't pretty

And neither are headaches and quilts with minkee backing. Sigh.

I went to bed early and woke up about 4 hours later, very thirsty. So, I got up for some water and couldn't fall back asleep, so I pulled all of the tape off of the behemoth quilt.

I have spent some serious quality time with it and the seam ripper. Yuck. No matter what I try, the backing keeps shifting, so this puppy will end up being tied tomorrow. That way it will get on the bed and I won't waste any more time wanting to cry over it.

I seldom get this emotional about a project. I am not terribly perfectionistic with my quilting, so I tend to like my results and enjoy the process most of the time. This time, I had such high hopes for this quilt and the backing that I feel like my plans have been thwarted at every turn. So, I figure it's better to let the expectations go and have a practical blanket for my bed. My mom suggested the tying idea to me when I was looking for ideas for making the backing stay put. Generally, tying is my last choice. For this quilt, it is looking like my only choice. It's definitely better than it laying on a UFO pile forever, with my resentment growing. This will give me a clean start on the next project.

But, better finished than perfect, right?

No comments: