Friday, January 8, 2010

Silver Thimble Club in McDonough!

Today, despite the questionable road conditions, was the first official meeting of the Silver Thimble Club at the ever fabulous A Scarlet Thread Quilt Shop in McDonough, GA. It's always a treat to go into the shop and today was no different!

We had a great time and enjoyed our teacher, Pat Wys, immensely! I learned quite a bit. It wasn't all terribly new material to me, but often a better way to accomplish something, either to increase precison or efficiency. Good stuff! I pretty much learned to quilts from books and from gleaning information from my mom that my granny had taught her, so it was great to learn new ways to do things and why these ways may be preferable to the way I usually do them.

This is a photo (that I borrowed from Pat's blog--hope that is okay) of the quilt that I am currently working on. It is made from Pat Wys' pattern "Strawberry Pie." The quilt shop made us kits of these wonderful fabrics. I can't wait to complete mine.

At first, I thought it was a bit too girly and I wanted to make it up with more aqua colors and less pink. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to make something girly just for me. Trust me, I don't think my boys will care much about this one! I didn't purchase the backing that is on the sample, instead I chose a simple butter yellow that will look lovely and soft. Even I can only be so girly!



This beauty is what the kits for next month will be. The pattern is another of Pat Wys'. Did I mention that this lady is really talented and a great teacher? It is called "White Chocolate" and doesn't it just make your mouth water? I love it. Again, I can't take credit for the photo as I borrowed it from Pat's blog to be able to show what we are doing.

If you are in the area, you should really, REALLY check out A Scarlet Thread and maybe you will become a Silver Thimble, too!





No comments: